Peter Kay’s Car Share has been named the Comedy.co.uk “Comedy of the Year 2015”.
In an online public vote the sitcom, which also co-stars and is co-written by Sian Gibson, who also co-write with Tim Reid and Paul Coleman, also won the award “Best New British TV Sitcom”.
Other TV shows that won awards included the final series of Peep Show, which won “Best Returning British TV Sitcom”, children’s show Horrible Histories for “Best British TV Sketch Show”, Would I Lie to You? for “Best British TV Panel Show”, The Graham Norton Show for “Best British TV Entertainment Show”, and Inside No. 9 for “Best British TV Comedy Drama”. The special “Editors’ Award”, given to the show that did was not vote for any of the major categories but felt deserve recognition by the websites editors (for whom the editor of On The Box happens to be one) went to political sitcom Ballot Monkeys.
An online vote was also held for the worst comedies of the year. Most of the worst comedies where those hosted by Keith Lemon. The Keith Lemon Sketch Show was the worst sketch show, Celebrity Juice the worst panel show, and Keith Lemon’s Back T’Future Tribute the worst entertainment show. However, the worst sitcom, the show voted the worst comedy of the year, was Mrs. Brown’s Boys.
The awards, which are decided by a public vote via readers of the British Comedy Guide and which nominate all comedy shows across the year to be name the best and worst in their category, are now in their 10th year. The awards cover both TV and radio comedy.
Below is a full list of winners of the best awards:
- Best New British TV Sitcom: Peter Kay’s Car Share
- Best Returning British TV Sticom: Peep Show
- Best British Radio Sitcom: John Finnemore’s Double Acts
- Best British TV Sketch Show: Horrible Histories
- Best British Radio Sketch Show: Dead Ringers
- Best British TV Panel Show: Would I Lie to You?
- Best British Radio Panel Show: I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue
- Best British TV Entertainment Show: The Graham Norton Show
- Best British Radio Entertainment Show: Mark Steel’s in Town
- Best British TV Comedy Drama: Inside No. 9
- Comedy of the Year: Peter Kay’s Car Share
- British Comedy Guide Editors’ Award: Ballot Monkeys