ITV1 has defended its upcoming documentary about Sir Jimmy Savile, which will centre on claims the DJ and presenter sexually abused underage teenage girls.
Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile, to be shown on Wednesday, will include several interviews with alleged victims of Savile, who died last year. The abuse is alleged to have taken place in a number of places including hospitals, schools and BBC buildings.
“This documentary is the result of an in-depth investigation into long-standing allegations of serious and widespread sexual misconduct by Sir Jimmy Savile,” an ITV spokesman said.
“Because of the very serious nature of the claims made by several interviewees in relation to this, particular care and consideration was of course given to the decision to produce and broadcast this programme.
“The programme takes full account of the fact that Sir Jimmy is not here to defend himself against these claims.”
One complaint was made to Surrey Police in 2007 but following an investigation no charges were brought. Savile was never charged with any abuse offences during his lifetime.
The BBC said no evidence of allegations on its premises had been found.
Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile will air on Wednesday, October 3 on ITV.