Dark comedy drama anthology series Inside No. 9 has been named “Comedy of the Year” in the 2017 Comedy.co.uk Awards.
The third series of Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith’s show, which featured episodes set in an art gallery, a restaurant and a chalet, also won the “Best TV Comedy Drama” category. Inside No. 9 is the first comedy drama to win the main prize. Past winners have included Car Share, Miranda, Peep Show and Green Wing.
Last year the “Comedy of the Year” went to Red Dwarf, which this year won “Best Returning TV Sitcom”. David Mitchell and Robert Webb’s Back won the prize for “Best New TV Sitcom”.
The full list of winners is below:
- Best New TV Sitcom: Back (Channel 4)
- Best Returning TV Sitcom: Red Dwarf (Dave)
- Best TV Sketch Show: Vic & Bob’s Big Night Out (BBC Two)
- Best TV Panel Show: Would I Lie to You? (BBC One)
- Best TV Entertainment Show: Taskmaster (Dave)
- Best TV Comedy Drama: Inside No. 9 (BBC Two)
- Best Radio Sitcom: Tim Vine Travels in Time (BBC Radio 2)
- Best Radio Sketch Show: Dead Ringers (BBC Radio 4)
- Best Radio Panel Show: The Unbelievable Truth (BBC Radio 4)
- Best Radio Entertainment Show: The Now Show (BBC Radio 4)
- Comedy of the Year: Inside No. 9 (BBC Two)
All of the winners were picked by public vote by readers of the British Comedy Guide.