About the terms
OnTheBox.com is part of the Olderiswiser Media Limited business assets.
Access to and use of ‘OnTheBox.com’ both within the UK and internationally is provided by Olderiswiser Media Limited on the following terms:
1. By using OnTheBox.com you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of OnTheBox.com. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to OnTheBox.com.
2. Olderiswiser Media Limited may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of OnTheBox.com will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you should cease using this website. If there is any conflict between these terms and specific local terms appearing elsewhere on OnTheBox.com (including house rules) then the latter shall prevail.
Use of OnTheBox.com
3. You agree to use OnTheBox.com only for lawful purposes and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of OnTheBox.com. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within OnTheBox.com.
4. All copyright, trade mark, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on OnTheBox.com and all content (including all applications) located on the site shall remain vested in Olderiswiser Media Limited or its licensors (which includes other users). You may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use OnTheBox.com content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. You also agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any OnTheBox.com content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of OnTheBox.com content requires the prior written permission of Olderiswiser Media Limited.
5. The names, images and logos identifying OnTheBox.com or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade mark of Olderiswiser Media Limited and/or third parties. Nothing contained in these terms shall be construed as conferring any licence or right to use any trade mark, design right or copyright of Olderiswiser Media Limited or any other third party.
Contributions to OnTheBox.com
6. By sharing any contribution (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio) with OnTheBox.com you agree to grant to Olderiswiser Media Limited, free of charge, permission to use the material in any way it wants (including modifying and adapting it for operational and editorial reasons) for Olderiswiser Media Limited services in any media worldwide (including on OnTheBox.com site accessed by international users). In certain circumstance Olderiswiser Media Limited may also share your contribution with trusted third parties.
7. Copyright in your contribution will remain with you and this permission is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material in any way including allowing others to use it.
8. In order that Olderiswiser Media Limited can use your contribution, you confirm that your contribution is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any UK laws, that you have the right to give Olderiswiser Media Limited permission to use it for the purposes specified above, and that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent / guardian if they are under 16.
10. Please do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or break any laws when creating content you may share with OnTheBox.com.
11. If you do not want to grant Olderiswiser Media Limited the permission set out above on these terms, please do not submit or share your contribution to or with OnTheBox.com.
14. You agree to use OnTheBox.com communities (including forums) in accordance with the following Community Rules. These apply across all OnTheBox.com community sites and services. You should, however, read the local house rules of the particular site or service you’re using, as there may be some local variations to these Community Rules.
(i) About your posts:
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful.
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.
- No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
- Be patient: users of all ages and abilities may be taking part in the relevant OnTheBox.com community.
- No spamming or off-topic material: we don’t allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. * Please don’t re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No advertising or promoting.
- No spoilers: material which contains plot developments which haven’t been transmitted on UK television will be deleted unless submitted in a designated ‘spoilers’ area or marked as a ‘spoiler’.
- Contributions containing languages other than English may be removed unless allowed in the relevant local house rules.
- No impersonation.
- No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names.
- URLs (web site addresses) can only be posted if allowed under any relevant local house rules.
- Deliberate misuse of the complaints facility is not permitted. If you persist in doing this, action may be taken against your account.
(ii) Your OnTheBox.com Account:
If you use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting a community or annoying other users you may have action taken against all of your accounts.
All accounts must be registered with a valid personal email address that you access regularly so that moderation emails can be sent to you. Accounts registered with someone else’s email address, or with temporary email addresses may be closed without notice. We may require users to re-validate their account if we believe they have been using an invalid email address.
Olderiswiser Media Limited reserves the right to close accounts if any user is seen to be using proxy IPs (Internet Protocol addresses) in order to attempt to hide the use of multiple OnTheBox.com accounts, or if a non-UK user pretends to be a UK user, or disrupts any of our services in any way.
We advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example: telephone number, postal address, home address or email address or any other details that would allow you to be personally identified) in any OnTheBox.com community.
(iv) Legal requirements:
- You may not submit or share any defamatory or illegal material of any nature in OnTheBox.com communities. This includes text, graphics, video, programs or audio.
- Contributing material to a OnTheBox.com community with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act is strictly prohibited.
- You agree to submit to or share with OnTheBox.com communities only contributions which are your own original work. You must not violate, plagiarise, or infringe the rights of Olderiswiser Media Limited or third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
(v) If you’re under 16:
Please get a parent’s or guardian’s permission before taking part in any OnTheBox.com community.
Never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example, school, telephone number, your full name, home address or email address).
(vi) If you breach these Community Rules:
If you fail to abide by these Community Rules (and/or any variations in relevant local house rules) when taking part in a OnTheBox.com community, you will be sent an email which informs you why your contribution has been refused or edited. This email will also include a warning that continuing to break the rules may result in action being taken against your account or accounts.
This action may include any content posted by you being checked before allowed to go on the site or a temporary or permanent suspension of your ability to participate in any or all of OnTheBox.com community areas.
If you submit or share offensive or inappropriate content to or with any OnTheBox.com communities or anywhere else on OnTheBox.com or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on OnTheBox.com, and Olderiswiser Media Limited considers such behaviour to be serious and/or repeated, Olderiswiser Media Limited may use whatever information that is available to it about you to stop any further such infringements. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school or email provider about the infringement(s).
Olderiswiser Media Limited reserves the right to delete any contribution, or take action against any OnTheBox.com account, at any time, for any reason.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
15. The majority of content posted in OnTheBox.com communities is created by members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Olderiswiser Media Limited. Olderiswiser Media Limited does not accept responsibility for any content posted by members of the public on OnTheBox.com or for the availability or content of any third party sites that are accessible through OnTheBox.com. Any links to third party websites from OnTheBox.com do not amount to any endorsement of that site by Olderiswiser Media Limited and any use of that site by you is at your own risk.
16. OnTheBox.com content, including the information, names, images, pictures, logos and icons regarding or relating to Olderiswiser Media Limited, its products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided “AS IS” and on an “AS AVAILABLE” basis. To the extent permitted by law, Olderiswiser Media Limited excludes all representations and warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy. Olderiswiser Media Limited does not guarantee the timeliness, completeness or performance of the website or any of the content. While we try to ensure that all content provided by Olderiswiser Media Limited is correct at the time of publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of Olderiswiser Media Limited for any errors, omissions or inaccurate content on the website.
17. Nothing in these terms limits or excludes Olderiswiser Media Limited’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its proven negligence. Subject to the previous sentence, Olderiswiser Media Limited shall not be liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such damage or losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of OnTheBox.com regardless of the form of action.
18. Olderiswiser Media Limited does not warrant that functions available on OnTheBox.com will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that OnTheBox.com or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy of data input and output.
Competitions on OnTheBox.com
- Competitions and prize draws published on OnTheBox.com are open to registered members of Olderiswiser Media Limited web sites.
- All competitions/prize draws are offered free of charge.
- All entrants must be aged 18 or over as a legal requirement.
- All entrants must be a registered members of OnTheBox.com in order to participate in prize draws listed on OnTheBox.com.
- Competition(s) only open to people resident in the UK
- Competitions and prize draws published on Olderiswiser Media Limited web sites are presented for online (web site) entry only. No entries will be accepted by post, email or any other form.
- Competitions and prize draws published on Olderiswiser Media Limited web sites are not open to employees of Olderiswiser Media Limited or their families, agencies or anyone else associated with this competition.
- There will be one overall prize for one winner unless otherwise specified in the competition/prize draw content.
- The prize/prizes have no cash value and no cash alternative is offered. The prize/prizes shall be non-refundable and can only be redeemed by the person/persons named as the prize draw winner of content published on Olderiswiser Media Limited websites.
- The winner must comply with all conditions, requirements communicated to them by Olderiswiser Media Limited. The publisher will not be responsible for any failure to comply with these requirements.
- The prize/prizes are non-transferable.
- No cash equivalent, or alternatives are available and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Olderiswiser Media Limited shall not be responsible for any indirect, special or consequential damages or losses suffered by the entrant or a third party.
- The competition/prize draw winner will be selected at random from all entries. The publisher’s (Olderiswiser Media Limited) decision will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be notified by the publisher by email or any other alternative channel within 7 days of the competition closing date.
- In the event that Olderiswiser Media Limited cannot contact the winner after the competition/prize draw closing date and receives no response to correspondence sent to the prize draw winner/s, Olderiswiser Media Limited will offer the prize to the next eligible entrant/entrants after 28 days.
- The Prize(s) provider will arrange the delivery of prizes directly with the Winner(s)
- Olderiswiser Media Limited in some instances publishes ‘paid for’ competitions/prize draws for a third party. A ‘paid for’ competition/prize draw shall be clearly labelled as a paid promotion. Paid promotions, in some instances, can involve sharing data with third party prize providers, see points 19 and 20. Entrants must check the specific terms and conditions of the prize draw before entering if they do not wish to share their data.
- ‘Paid for’ promotions shall involve the share of personal details (with the third party) of all entrants of the said promotion. By entering a ‘paid for’ promotion, the entrant agrees to the share of personal details registered on Olderiswiser Media Limited websites; including name, postal address and email address.
- By entering a ‘paid for’ competition/prize draw you authorise the Third party to send you relevant offers and other marketing materials. If you do not wish to receive marketing materials, you can unsubscribe or update your email preferences at any time.
- Registered members can request in writing that their contact details be removed from Olderiswiser Media Limited data bases. To do so, write to The Editor, Olderiswiser Media Limited, 16 Leigham Court Road, Streatham, London SW16 2PJ.
- The names and counties of competition/prize draw winner will be published on OnTheBox.com within 7 days of the end of the promotion or within 7 days of the successful entrant being notified.
19. If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.
20. The failure or delay of Olderiswiser Media Limited to exercise or enforce any right in these terms does not waive Olderiswiser Media Limited’s right to enforce that right.
21. These terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales which shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes.
Olderiswiser Media Limited
16 Leigham Court Road
London SW16 2PJ
Tel: (020) 7034 1900
This page was last updated 3 August 2017.